North Shore Montessori School is a community of parents and professionals convinced that Montessori is the only educational method that prepares children for the world we live in now and for the future they will inherit. This drives us to provide the optimal physical, mental and emotional environment for life-long learning where all children, parents, caregivers, and staff are honored and respected.
What makes NSMS unique among other Montessori schools?
- • We are recognized as an Association Montessori International (AMI) school, one of only a few in Wisconsin, serving ages 3-15. AMI was established by Dr. Maria Montessori to uphold the integrity of her authentic Montessori principles.
- • The addition of the Montessori Adolescent Program for grades 7-9 means youth can continue to benefit from Montessori philosophy into their high school years. Around the age of 12 (grade 7), children enter the third plane of development. Their focus shifts to the exploration of their place in society. North Shore Montessori School has committed to establishing and growing an adolescent program true to Dr. Montessori’s original vision for this age group.
- • AMI Certified Teachers – The most comprehensive training available.
- • Complete set of engaging, attractive, authentic Montessori materials encouraging exploration, inquiry, and movement
- • Self-paced, developmentally-based curriculum.
- • Daily three-hour block of uninterrupted work time, building discipline and concentration.
- • Mixed age groups and specified class sizes encourage cooperation and leadership skills.
- • Atmosphere of respect, courtesy and responsibility.
- • Daily Spanish integrated into the classroom.
- • Art, music, and physical education accessible daily so children may spend time practicing, accelerating at their own pace.
- • A full breadth of summer programming, including Montessori classes and unique enrichment programs.
- • On-site wrap-around care: 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., including school vacation days.
- • Daily pickup and drop-off right at your child’s classroom door.
- • Opportunities for parents and caregivers to learn about Montessori, parenting techniques and child development through Parent School.
- • Natural playscape and gardens with daily outdoor time and an emphasis on ecology.
- • Optimal classroom environment with an abundance of natural light and open space.
In 2013 under the initiative of our Head of School, a group of committed parents seeking to fill a need in the community founded North Shore Montessori School (NSMS), a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation dedicated to providing an independently funded, authentic Montessori education. NSMS prepares the child for life in and out of our classroom with the means to develop self-control, self-direction and self-actualization.
To be the best place for a child to grow and learn, in a true Montessori environment.
The NSMS child:
- • Loves learning throughout life.
- • Follows their natural curiosity.
- • Recognizes their unique talents and gifts.
- • Embraces their struggles and develops the courage to accept difficult challenges.
- • Evaluates problems and selects alternative solutions.
- • Is motivated by the intrinsic rewards of learning over external rewards or punishments.
- • Thinks creatively and critically.
- • Has empathy for others, social ease, and self-confidence.
- • Collaborates and cooperates in their environment.
- • Embraces their civil duty and social responsibility to their family, school, and the community.
The NSMS classes provide:
- • Strong academic foundation, through individual and small group instruction in language, math, history, geography, science, music, art, foreign languages and beyond, by adhering to classic Montessori standards.
- • Experiential learning through authentic AMI approved Montessori materials and supportive guidance from of our teachers.
- • A holistic environment that includes healthy physical living, environmental consciousness and appreciation of our world.
- • The culture to identify and manage emotions resulting in self-awareness, personal problem solving and peaceful conflict resolution.
- • Educational experiences in which the child is an active participant and contributes with individual views.
- • A place of unconditional respect, harmony and security.
- • 21st century skills for jobs not yet created.
The NSMS community is:
- • Dedicated to cultural, ethnic, and economic diversity by appreciation and exposure to various traditions and life circumstances.
- • A sanctuary of intellectual freedom.
- • Supportive of families and caregivers through Parent School and other enrichment opportunities.
- • Not swayed by educational trends and fads but instead remains true to proven and internationally accepted AMI principles.
- • Committed to staff excellence by encouraging continuing education through workshops, seminars and observations.
- • Distinguished by its strong management team and a dedicated Board of Directors.
- • Committed to financial sustainability.
- • A beautiful and well-maintained campus.
- • A school that listens and gets better.
Support Our School
As a private, nonprofit school, North Shore Montessori receives no public funding and relies fully on tuitions and donations. Our annual Spring Fling raises money toward program expansion and tuition assistance. Your contribution is tax deductible and appreciated greatly. Click the "Donate" button at the bottom of the page to proceed. Thank you!
North Shore Montessori School supports and promotes REDgen, a community-based organization aiming to change the conversation, removing stigma, and redefining success for our youth. Recognizing everyone student is different, promoting better balance, and fostering resiliency in education aligns 100% with Montessori philosophy.
To learn more about REDgen click here.